Often times Ghanaians slip fluidly between English and Twi. I will be speaking with someone in English, but they will answer their cell phone in Twi than continue speaking to me in English - which can be very confusing! Most conversations between Ghanaians tend to be in Twi - whether for business purposes or just among friends. Since most people are more comfortable speaking in Twi it is definitely to the advantage of a visitor to Ghana to learn the language.
Unfortunately, I am sorry to say my language abilities have never been particularly strong - after many years of Spanish, I think even 'conversational' would be a generous description of my abilities! As a result, I can not claim that I am particularly well versed in Twi - if I have a hard time with a 'common' romance language, Twi, which has no relation to any other language I know, is certainly beyond my comprehension.
But I will share what I do know:
Eti sen? (ehtee sayn) - How are you?
Eye (eh-ye) - Fine.
1 comment:
Lizzie, I think its admirable that you even tried "TWI". Don't worry we would all find it challenging.
Post a Comment