Saturday, November 1, 2008

Trick and Pez

Each night I return to Marg Tee's Foods for dinner, because I have made friends with the two Ghanaian sisters who run the stand -  all of the stands in the Night Market are run by different families. At Marg Tee's, one sister takes your order for rice, than passes your bowl to her sister behind the stand who whom you order your choice of stew, shito, etc. The rest of their family work behind the scenes - cooking over the burners behind the stands to supply the stews, rice and everything that they serve at their shop.

I enjoy chatting with Rashita and her sister each night and I wanted to share a little of the tradition of Halloween. So last night I brought them each a special Halloween Pez - one was a Jack-o-Lantern, the other was a black cat! They were so surprised and grateful - probably the most excited any one has ever been to get Pez! 

I explained that it was Halloween on October 31st in the U.S. On this day we celebrate by sharing candy so I wanted to bring them some candies which are made in my home state - Pez are made in Orange, CT! (Ghana is a very religious country so I decided to avoid explaining the ghost, and goblins aspect of the holiday...!)

I showed them how to 'properly load' the Pez containers - my initial explanation only resulted in puzzled looks, so I had to unwrap the Pez dispenser and do a little demo! Both girls are about high school age, so it was fun that we were all so excited over this little candy contraption. It turns out that Pez is the perfect trick and treat!!

Later I had my own celebration, I watched old school "Doug" and "Hey Arnold" Halloween specials (downloaded off i-Tunes of course) and enjoyed a delicious Snickers bar that my  Grammy sent me from home (after it spent the day in the refrigerator to solidify!) 

It was a spook-tacular evening all around!

No comments: